Attested in documents since 1453,
Mraconia Monastery is destroyed during the Russian-Austrian-Turkish War
(1787-1792), rebuilt and demolished again in 1968. Its name is given
from the Mracuna brook which means black water. Nowadays, on the
Danube’s shore, was built a modern monastery which is similar to the old
one and it was built on the skeleton of the former signalling Balloon
building from Cazanele Mici.
The existing church has as Patrons Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel and Holy Trinity.
The church has cross-shape, built from
brick. It is divided into the sanctuary, nave and opened threshold.
Nowadays, Mraconia Monastery has a monk’s parish.
From the initial church, that is nowadays under Danube’s waters, remained the imperial doors and an icon lamp, sheltered in the parochial museum from Eşelniţa.